2008-08-02

Second Degree Black Belt Class

Every week on Friday, at 8pm, is the Second Degree Black Belt Class. It's a difficult time to make because I do not want to cycle home 21 miles in the dark, so I drive. It's my 5th class of the week, and it means some weeks I have to be in Manchester every day.

I have never complained once about going to this class. I love it. Let me tell you why.

But first, I must introduce the studio owner: Mr. White is a 7th degree black belt. He is the Director of the New England Chinese Karate Federation. In addition to all the titles and paper documents, he's a fantastic martial artist who has earned my respect and loyalty. Let me put this in perspective for you. I'm little and fast. He's quite heftier than me and much faster. I like to think I'm good at what I do. Compared to 90% of people, this is true. He's better at what I do by volumes. I respect him for his technical expertise, and because he has always set a good example, instead of just leading with words. He changed my life when he asked me to be a teacher; this put me in a role model position and I benefited profoundly. Thank you, Sir.

That being said, the reasons why I love the class:
Mr. White teaches this class. The head teacher, who teaches the other classes I take, Mr. Mckenzie, also takes this class with me. He is an old friend, and it's an honor to work with him.
The detail is amazing: I improve by how much I work, not by any limit in information.

Last night, we worked on Raining Lance, Thrusting Lance, and Piercing Lance. These are techniques that I teach in the Black Belt Prep. Class, so that should give you an idea of how proficient I am with them. I'm no slouch; but when Mr. White teaches, I am humbled. I learned details I never knew about. I've been a Black Belt for ten years, I've been training for fifteen years. This class makes me so much better.

Time to go practice.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

See! I commented!

Mr. Karate said...

You're wonderful. Thank you =)